|Spring 2016||A Design Contract has been awarded to Iteris, Inc. This contract is to design all of the traffic signals and controls for all of the 2015 Bond Street projects. The design team is currently working with City Staff to design traffic signal improvements.||October 2018|
Forty eight intersections will receive new equipment, sixty seven new signal timing plans will be installed as well as one completely new intersection at Industrial Blvd. and Maple St.
Other improvements included in this project:
- New hardware and software to optimize traffic signal operations—this will improve travel times, reduce delay, and reduce wear and tear on vehicles. It will also decrease fuel consumptions for all road users.
- Automatic alerts sent when field equipment has issues that need to be addressed before effecting traffic flow—allowing staff to be proactive instead of reactive to field issues.
- Upgrading the 1960’s electro-mechanical equipment downtown to modern, digital equipment, as well as much needed upgrades to the other intersections.
- Vehicle detection improvements that will detect bicycles in the intersection—this will yield the ability to provide traffic data for signal adjustments as needed and allow the intersection to become more efficient by measuring vehicle demand and adjusting adaptively. It will also reduce the times when a traffic signal changes indications (colors) when nobody is there.
- Safety improvement by replacing old metal electrical pull boxes with new fiberglass ones as well as removing old power service and replacing with new weatherproof housings.
- Pedestrian head upgrade to countdown style to better communicate crossing times with cross walk users.
- Audible pedestrian systems to several intersections, which will include directions, street names, and visual and audio queues for crossing streets.
Complete List of Intersections: